Fatality!

provost

2008-08-04 03:36:51

You all prolly heard about this but if not:

Wednesday night, a 40-year old man aboard a Canadian Greyhound bus traveling from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg stabbed and then decapitated a fellow passenger, USA Today reports. He was arrested at the end of the whole thing, in case you were wondering.

This story has gotten extensive coverage all over the world. People have been quoted as saying they'll never take the bus ever again, until safety regulations on buses are in place. I don't know. Can you really draw conclusions from one weird case?

In case you haven't heard exactly what happened, here is a glimpse, according to fellow passengers interviewed by Associated Press:

The victim, who appeared to be about 19, was sleeping with headphones on when his seat mate suddenly began stabbing him as the bus traveled a desolate stretch of the TransCanada Highway, a dozen miles from Portage La Prairie. He stabbed him about 40-50 times.

The bus stopped and the passengers tried to get away while the attacker allegedly began calmly and methodically carving up the man's body. Unbelievable.

Passengers disembarked and braced themselves against the door to prevent the attacker from leaving while they waited for police to arrive. The attacker went back and brought the head to the front and dropped it on the ground in front of the passengers.

Potato

2008-08-04 03:52:20

:o wow

Walking Target

2008-08-04 03:55:43

wtf no more sleeping on the bus for me.

thatguy

2008-08-04 03:56:20

yea heard about it the day it happend its fucked up

Paradox

2008-08-04 04:57:57

Escapee from the Loonie bin?

puFF

2008-08-04 05:50:13

wow that is nuts. im scurred to even close my eyes now

Potato

2008-08-04 06:27:49

close your eyes and some random dude starts stabbing you, yeah that would suck :|

Beef

2008-08-04 06:28:41

wow that is nuts. im scurred to even close my eyes now
I sleep with my ar2, though it sucks when I acidentally hit altfire in my sleep. :(

But seriously, that is truly bizarre, effed up, etc...
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around how someone could just go apeshit like that on another human being (in a situtaion/environment like a bus).
What a wonderful world. :x

puFF

2008-08-04 07:54:45

lol he probably played to much counterstrike

Fearsome*

2008-08-04 08:42:37

Why didn't the sissies try to help the poor kid. Man what is wrong with people we are just going to run out and leave him there to be mutilated further. A bunch of people could not stop him?

Poor_Billy

2008-08-04 09:44:12

Fearsome* wrote:Why didn't the sissies try to help the poor kid. Man what is wrong with people we are just going to run out and leave him there to be mutilated further. A bunch of people could not stop him?

lol?

Ko-Tao

2008-08-04 13:26:50

Fearsome* wrote:Why didn't the sissies try to help the poor kid. Man what is wrong with people we are just going to run out and leave him there to be mutilated further. A bunch of people could not stop him?
To put it bluntly: Most people arent willing to potentially sacrifice themselves for a random.

That or their desire to help the victim was exceeded by their fear of joining him.

Pernicious

2008-08-04 14:45:12

There are allways forms of emotion (like fear) getting in the way of a simple solution in these situations.
Most stabbings are unsuccesfull aswell but the odds go up wen the victim is sleeping X_X

Jelly Fox

2008-08-04 16:05:27

wtf, I hadn't heard about this. obviously the guy wasn't right in the head, no "normal" person would ever think about doing something inhuman and fucked up as that. :|

provost

2008-08-05 00:01:01

I totally agree, but on the other hand, personally i'd try to stop a robbery or a fist fight, because these people can be threatened or reasoned with. A maniac randomly decapitating a sleeping passenger with a machete probably doesn't give a shit about pain, cops, death, killing more peeps.

I remember when my parents used to own a retirement house for old farts. there was this women, she required assistance to walk, take a bath eat... and one of these day, she looked really odd and after trying to make her eat several time she stood up and punched the nurse, we called an ambulance it required 3 men to get her in the ambulance and the week before she couldnt kill a fly. Adrenaline and madness is indeed a very bad mix. I kinda understand why these people didn't act.

But still, looking at it in a logic way... bad call peeps.

30 > 1 you do the math.

Uncle Rico

2008-08-05 00:19:41

Metal detectors and random searches will now become common for bus, train, taxi, moped, cruise ship, ski lift, escalator, elevator, tow truck, golf cart, limosine, fishing boat, etc. All that bullshit coupled with high fuel prices and we'll like not travel nearly as much. Insert your own thoughts or conspiracy theories here: < >
:sketchy:

dbanimal

2008-08-05 00:54:58

puFF wrote:lol he probably played to much counterstrike
Reading through all this I figure they will blame his actions on violent video games!!

GatesMcTaste

2008-08-05 01:00:28

well i did hear on the news today of a kid in thailand who stabbed a taxi driver to death because as he said "i was trying to re-enact a scene from GTA IV"

not the only new report but the first on google:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... 457144.ece

sadly the world is full of crazy people...

dirk

2008-08-05 02:44:04

That was exactly the first thing I thought of as well. Sure, no one wants to be stabbed, but a group of several people can easily take down a guy weilding a knife. I was at a, um, gogo bar :D several years ago when a guy had a seizure induced by the strobe lights flickering from the stage. I'd say there were approximately 30 people in the place, and not ONE person other than myself stepped forward to help. It just seems most people get that scared lemmings effect when confronted with things they do not understand. Just read a story about a famous football player coming to a choking victims' aid as the rest of the place stood by idly and watched this poor guy nearly choke to death. :?

Beef

2008-08-05 03:23:15

{EE} Uncle Rico wrote:Metal detectors and random searches will now become common for bus, train, taxi, moped, cruise ship, ski lift, escalator, elevator, tow truck, golf cart, limosine, fishing boat, etc. All that bullshit coupled with high fuel prices and we'll like not travel nearly as much.
And the more isolated we feel / become, perhaps the more likely these random rages?

0nti

2008-08-05 05:39:53

jeez, shocking news O.O

I totally agree with you fearsome... I don't know what the fuck is wrong with people now a days, but in most big cities nobody gives a shit if someone is stealing you, killing you, beating you up or whatever, they just ignore you or try to save their butts...
I wouldn't be able to be quiet knowing I could have saved him ... If I was in that situation my guess is I would probably try to help...

Blasphemy

2008-08-05 20:00:35

i heard that you are more likely to get helped when your being raped by yelling "help fire" :?

Zman42

2008-08-05 22:03:08

Never underestimate the ability of humans to stand by and watch terrible things unfold.

Ko-Tao

2008-08-06 00:44:29

.conflict wrote:But still, looking at it in a logic way... bad call peeps.

30 > 1 you do the math.
Except that in a bus, with its narrow aisle creating an effective 1-person wide choke point, itd actually end up as 1v1, not 30v1. And how many of those people, especially the 50% or so who were kids/old/fat/sedentary, are going to want to be the first to 1v1 a knife-crazy with their bare hands?

Also, sleeping in a public place with strangers all about is the epitome of stupid, though it certainly sucks for the victim that he didnt live to learn his lesson.

Its also ridiculous that 99% of the population wanders around unarmed and defenseless most of the time, but thats a topic unto itself.

provost

2008-08-06 01:31:07

Ko-Tao wrote:
.conflict wrote:But still, looking at it in a logic way... bad call peeps.

30 > 1 you do the math.
Its also ridiculous that 99% of the population wanders around unarmed and defenseless most of the time, but thats a topic unto itself.
yet they let a muscle-monster-wrestling-kungfu-steven-seagal guy go on a plane without asking question. seriously armed or not you're never really safe no matter what so i doubt it's the key. I'd blame the health system not being able to deal properly with madmen over anything else.

Dazzle

2008-08-06 06:24:17

:o :o

provost

2008-08-06 14:56:24

[quote="Ko-TaoIts also ridiculous that 99% of the population wanders around unarmed.[/quote]

And in this case, problem was that this guy had a weapon "armed". It just happened this 1% or armed person caused the problem. But yea, that's another topic.