toyota recall

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-02-03 21:29:51

i had a 1999 toyota tacoma pickup. they are doing a recall on years before 2000(i think it is) fucking sick deal. the recall is for rusted frames. mine qualified. SOOO, they took my truck today, and are giving me a check for 1 and 1/2 times what its worth, retail. which came out to be a lil over $11,000. i bought the truck 4 years ago for $13,000. i wont get the check for like 3 weeks. in the mean time they gave me a 2008 trunda, unlimited miles, while i wait. plus a $1000 if i buy a new or used toyota after i get the money. hooked up nigga.

Shinigami

2009-02-03 21:31:49

wow.. lucky :twisted:

dbanimal

2009-02-03 21:42:06

Holy Shiite man! You lucky son of a ....J/K. It's great they're helping you out so much and being supportive of their product.

badinfluence

2009-02-03 21:44:47

I don't have a toyota, but how do you find out if yours qualifies?

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-02-03 21:51:28

badinfluence wrote:I don't have a toyota, but how do you find out if yours qualifies?
i had to go to the dealership where i bought it and have it inspected

Ghost Dog_TSGK

2009-02-03 22:20:00

Toyota stands by their reliability, some of our car manufacturers could learn from them.

The original frames probably had a poor mixture of protective undercoating causing premature corrosion, and they chose to admit it and fix it.
I remember from the period of 1989 to 1998 Chevrolet had a faulty mixture of clear coat on all of their paint jobs, think of how many GM models of that era you see with paint peeling off especially on the roof, they just plain don't give a shit either unless you bought a corvette.

I'm all for a good American made vehicle, I'm just waiting on them to make it.

keefy

2009-02-03 23:24:54

I thought they were indisctuctable they are eseentially Hilux are they not?

Paint peeling off is not a safety issue thats why they didnt recall.
Ghost Dog_TSGK wrote: I remember from the period of 1989 to 1998 Chevrolet had a faulty mixture of clear coat on all of their paint jobs, think of how many GM models of that era you see with paint peeling off especially on the roof, they just plain don't give a shit either unless you bought a corvette.

G

2009-02-04 00:05:20

holy crap i have a 96 avalon! good to know

Jelly Fox

2009-02-04 00:11:47

now is a good time to buy a cheap pre 2000 toyota pickup!

Ghost Dog_TSGK

2009-02-04 01:13:52

keefy wrote:I thought they were indisctuctable they are eseentially Hilux are they not?

Ghost Dog_TSGK wrote: I remember from the period of 1989 to 1998 Chevrolet had a faulty mixture of clear coat on all of their paint jobs, think of how many GM models of that era you see with paint peeling off especially on the roof, they just plain don't give a shit either unless you bought a corvette.
No it wasn't a safety issue at all, but if you bought a brand new car and the paint peeled off of the roof and trunk and hood right after the warranty expired, then drive down the street noticing everyone has this problem you would lose a lot of respect for that maker, it's up to them to what choice they make reflecting their image and their choice was simply "we don't give a shit".Toyota would have recalled their vehicles had they experienced this same problem

As far as the scene here goes that was the tip of the iceberg, Chrysler Chevrolet and Ford all purposefully made shitty cars through that period of time and knew exactly what they were doing, making a cheap thrown together poor excuse of a vehicle (4 different models made from the same parts including body panels) shit drivetrains, shit sensors, shit suspension components and less importantly they were ugly as hell.Poor mixtures of clearcoat sealant being used on the manufacturing line was just a fraction of the neglect and poor design, many motors went from being designed by wise mechanics to being designed by science teams who never used a wrench in their life and that also brought hell to mechanics both professional and at home do it yourselfers.

When I was around 10 starting to learn about auto repair my father (a Ford man) took me to the cars at his repair garage and showed me the difference in parts between American domestic and Japanese built models, even a kid my age could notice without him there that the brake, steering, ignition,transmission even the fuel delivery system were far superior on the Japanese model, hell he even measured the gaps between the body panels and the Japanese model matched perfect front to back, not the case with the domestic model, and yet the Japanese car was a cheaper Mitsubishi Galant model considered to be an economic family sedan nothing special about it.The domestic model was a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (when the Fleetwood was first produced it was considered to be one of the finest auto's ever made and was for many years to come).

Much of the time upgrading our domestics to performance spec, is spent getting the car to a level of many standard foreign autos costing buckets of cash, and the big three automakers wondered why they needed a bailout they expected people to keep buying these mass produced lemons and it didn't work, I would appreciate their recent effort to make cars with better drivetrains and handling systems and more style but they are grossly overpriced and their reliability is still questionable only time will tell.

Although there have always been well made, good looking well built American cars, ever since the early to mid 80's they have been put on a pedestal and jacked up in price to the point most of them were at least twice the average Americans yearly income, taking the name Cadillac and nearly ruining it by producing vehicles no where near the Cadillac standard and even taking some general domestic Chevy's slapping a Caddy' emblem on it and adding a leather interior (Cadillac Cimmaron).The "big three" have a lot of work to do to become what they once were but I don't see how they can do it with things like Chrysler buying a $250.000 newspaper ad in the NY Times just to thank us Americans for the bailout they got.

Back in my dad's time if you couldn't afford a Corvette or Boss Mustang or Charger RT, you had a sea of lower priced models offering similar performance, reliability and still looked pretty bad ass, these days it's not the same with exceptions like the Dodge srt-4 and GM redline line, lot's of European and Japanese models have had these performance and style options the entire time of production and the big three were late.

Car rant/blog over.

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-02-04 02:45:46

Ghost Dog_TSGK wrote:Toyota stands by their reliability, some of our car manufacturers could learn from them.

The original frames probably had a poor mixture of protective undercoating causing premature corrosion, and they chose to admit it and fix it.
I remember from the period of 1989 to 1998 Chevrolet had a faulty mixture of clear coat on all of their paint jobs, think of how many GM models of that era you see with paint peeling off especially on the roof, they just plain don't give a shit either unless you bought a corvette.

damn bro. you must be into cars. that was the reason. or atleast the reason they gave me. i could give a shit really. i wanted to get a newer truck anyway. im still sticking with the tacoma tho. love those trucks.

[KBH]Tazzer

2009-02-04 02:55:52

Ghost Dog_TSGK wrote:
keefy wrote:I thought they were indisctuctable they are eseentially Hilux are they not?

No it wasn't a safety issue at all, but if you bought a brand new car and the paint peeled off of the roof and trunk and hood right after the warranty expired, then drive down the street noticing everyone has this problem you would lose a lot of respect for that maker, it's up to them to what choice they make reflecting their image and their choice was simply "we don't give a shit".Toyota would have recalled their vehicles had they experienced this same problem

As far as the scene here goes that was the tip of the iceberg, Chrysler Chevrolet and Ford all purposefully made shitty cars through that period of time and knew exactly what they were doing, making a cheap thrown together poor excuse of a vehicle (4 different models made from the same parts including body panels) shit drivetrains, shit sensors, shit suspension components and less importantly they were ugly as hell.Poor mixtures of clearcoat sealant being used on the manufacturing line was just a fraction of the neglect and poor design, many motors went from being designed by wise mechanics to being designed by science teams who never used a wrench in their life and that also brought hell to mechanics both professional and at home do it yourselfers.

When I was around 10 starting to learn about auto repair my father (a Ford man) took me to the cars at his repair garage and showed me the difference in parts between American domestic and Japanese built models, even a kid my age could notice without him there that the brake, steering, ignition,transmission even the fuel delivery system were far superior on the Japanese model, hell he even measured the gaps between the body panels and the Japanese model matched perfect front to back, not the case with the domestic model, and yet the Japanese car was a cheaper Mitsubishi Galant model considered to be an economic family sedan nothing special about it.The domestic model was a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (when the Fleetwood was first produced it was considered to be one of the finest auto's ever made and was for many years to come).

Much of the time upgrading our domestics to performance spec, is spent getting the car to a level of many standard foreign autos costing buckets of cash, and the big three automakers wondered why they needed a bailout they expected people to keep buying these mass produced lemons and it didn't work, I would appreciate their recent effort to make cars with better drivetrains and handling systems and more style but they are grossly overpriced and their reliability is still questionable only time will tell.

Although there have always been well made, good looking well built American cars, ever since the early to mid 80's they have been put on a pedestal and jacked up in price to the point most of them were at least twice the average Americans yearly income, taking the name Cadillac and nearly ruining it by producing vehicles no where near the Cadillac standard and even taking some general domestic Chevy's slapping a Caddy' emblem on it and adding a leather interior (Cadillac Cimmaron).The "big three" have a lot of work to do to become what they once were but I don't see how they can do it with things like Chrysler buying a $250.000 newspaper ad in the NY Times just to thank us Americans for the bailout they got.

Back in my dad's time if you couldn't afford a Corvette or Boss Mustang or Charger RT, you had a sea of lower priced models offering similar performance, reliability and still looked pretty bad ass, these days it's not the same with exceptions like the Dodge srt-4 and GM redline line, lot's of European and Japanese models have had these performance and style options the entire time of production and the big three were late.

Car rant/blog over.

wise man indeed you are :wink: my buddy and i talk about all those chevy paint jobs
regularly lol its true!

[KBH]Tazzer

2009-02-04 02:56:22

{EE}chEmicalBurn wrote:i had a 1999 toyota tacoma pickup. they are doing a recall on years before 2000(i think it is) fucking sick deal. the recall is for rusted frames. mine qualified. SOOO, they took my truck today, and are giving me a check for 1 and 1/2 times what its worth, retail. which came out to be a lil over $11,000. i bought the truck 4 years ago for $13,000. i wont get the check for like 3 weeks. in the mean time they gave me a 2008 trunda, unlimited miles, while i wait. plus a $1000 if i buy a new or used toyota after i get the money. hooked up nigga.

you lucky bastard :lol:

keefy

2009-02-04 03:29:07

Sounds alot like the film with Arnie.

Ghost Dog_TSGK

2009-02-04 03:32:47

{EE}chEmicalBurn wrote:
Ghost Dog_TSGK wrote:Toyota stands by their reliability, some of our car manufacturers could learn from them.

damn bro. you must be into cars. that was the reason. or atleast the reason they gave me. i could give a shit really. i wanted to get a newer truck anyway. im still sticking with the tacoma tho. love those trucks.
Yeah it's my thing, that's a kick ass deal they got you.

Deathwish

2009-02-04 04:05:50

wow you are very lucky lol

haymaker

2009-02-05 05:57:17

Toy rocks, no doubt. Imagine if Windows was developed by them.

My 4runner refuses to go down. It's getting on 19 years old ( 1990 ) , how many American models of the same age do you see on the road? A fair sight less than these I'll warrant. There was even a SSC on this truck last year. 19 years later!

i was having a convo with a workmate last year, he was buying a new f150, his rationale was "cheap parts" and "supporting a job in North America". I countered saying you'll need less parts with a Toy, a look at how fucked the union is ( $75 an hour ?? ), and the fact that a large percentage of the taxes the big 3 actually have to pay after fudging the numbers was destined for the bogus war effort.

6 months later he's cursing it, won't stay in 4wd, among a pile of other issues

DEATH-ANGEL

2009-02-06 09:15:14

I love the Tundra.
Got a 2008 Tundra Crewmax fully loaded besides the leather seats with a roll top on the back.
Shits decent. Especially with 7.1 surround sound.
The Tundra and Lexus have the best sound systems in any stock car and for the most part, in general for over all quality unless you just want raspy mangled subs all the time, which is fun, but only if you want to annoy people.

old time no.7

2009-02-06 17:22:13

that's pretty amazing.

not to try to piss on yer parade or nothin, but are you going to have to pay taxes on that and declare it as a gift and fill out a 1098? or as income?

was it 11k straight up or did they take any withholdings from it?
uncle sam doesn't like it if you don't pay up.