net issues

CellarDweller

2010-09-03 06:38:00

can someone explain this to me?

its at&t dsl. paying for 1.5/.5 (fastest available speed in my neck of the woods).

this happens almost everytime it storms within 60 or so miles of my house. i used to blame it on water in the underground utility pipes carrying the phone lines to my house. but lately, it doesnt even have to be raining at my house. just severe storms tracking across the area. it can last from an hour or two before the storm arrives until an hour or two after the storms pass by.

dsl isnt supposed to work like cable is it? cause i swear this seems to be happening during high internet demand times associated with tracking severe weather.

keefy

2010-09-03 16:06:10

It could well be the weather, last year whenever it rained my net was garbage, kept diosconnecting slow download speeds and a poor quality phoneline, it took them months to find out where the problem was and fix it.

I recorded this in August last year but tit wasnt fixed until at least March this year.

Link

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2010-09-03 17:24:39

whether you're one cable or dsl you are still connecting to a central "hub". ISP's have different locations for these around the country, would be rediculas if they didnt. if one of the hubs goes down from power outtage you will be re-routed to another location, this will slow you down because you prolly will be further away and you will have added demand from all the ppl that got re-router with you plus they ppl that were using that hub to begin with. the opposite can also happen, ppl get moved to your hub, so even if you arent experiencing a storm, other ppl hundreds of miles away might be and as a result are now sharing your hub. this is compounded with that fact that DSL is limited to a lower amount of packets that can be sent on its lines. this is a guess, but i would think due to the fact that cable and fios are becoming more popular, DSL hubs are becoming more limited, making your re-route further away. also keep in mind that the speed you pay for is almost never achieved. that speed is a theoretical "best case" speed. on a clean line, with optimal conditions. the reason why the internet speed tests are misleading is because that is just a ping, with a small amount of data to an adress that isnt doing anything else, i.e. hosting websites with downloadable songs, movies, etc.

CellarDweller

2010-09-03 19:45:40

its all at&t shenanigans.

they used to be my only option. but cable is now available. in fact, ive learned that at&t won't even offer dsl or u-verse on my street anymore. so they are clearly backtracking and not showing me much love when i complain about the shitty connections.

but my neighbors with cable are telling me about shitty connections also. since i live at the end of a long deadend street... i suppose its not surprising that im at the "end" of any circuits or pathways or whatevah. :x

dbanimal

2010-09-03 21:37:14

Sounds like it's time for you to move! J/K :mrgreen:

I started off with cable, then switched to DSL because of hearing it's so much better. Well it sucked worse than cable so now I'm back to cable and am fairly happy with it.

lead

2010-09-03 23:37:08

i liek cable too its faster although adsl is catchin up speed wise in the uk (up to 50 mb soon i think). I had a problem and rewired with the help of a BT tech back to the street connection which helped a lot as the wires were a bit corroded. Maybe weather affecting corroded wires possibly or net traffic which killed some IPSs i have been with previously. Satellite anyone?

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2010-09-04 02:08:51

CellarDweller wrote:its all at&t shenanigans.

they used to be my only option. but cable is now available. in fact, ive learned that at&t won't even offer dsl or u-verse on my street anymore. so they are clearly backtracking and not showing me much love when i complain about the shitty connections.

but my neighbors with cable are telling me about shitty connections also. since i live at the end of a long deadend street... i suppose its not surprising that im at the "end" of any circuits or pathways or whatevah. :x

you living at the end of your street isnt affecting your signal, unless you live like 5 miles from your neighbor, even then its unlikely.