{HE} Thorofin

Thorofin

2007-05-18 21:15:13

Hello everyone,

This is {HELLS ELITE} Thorofin, one of the founding members of {HE}. I've been playing hl2dm for a couple of years now, but hadn't really done much FPS gaming since Wolfenstein, Hexen & Decent. While I'm not bad, I am definitely just an enthusiast, and do the best I can with the limited time I have to play.

I've been the admin behind the {HE} servers, as well as helping out people from [GGG], -=DMS=-, & anyone else who wanted information on setting up a server & adding Mani's plugin. (BTW Kudos to Keeper for planning to integrate admin functions to the Headshot plugin).

I also setup & manage the Hells Elite website & forums http://www.hellselite.net. While it's not fancy, it does get the job done.

I do mapping as well, but due to my time constraints and my IRL job, I tend not to have the time for mapping from scratch, so I tend to Mod other maps. Some of you may have played the double sized version of aim_arena_b4 that I put together.

Anyhow, I'm glad Holymoly pointed me this direction, and I look forward to learning & contributing what I can to the community.

ninojman

2007-05-18 22:42:07

Welcome

and on that note maybe we should do like the Dods community and have some map projects where ppl can work on them from time to time and not have to worry about finishing as someone else can pick up where you left off

A few weeks ago you might have seen in a steam update about the dods C.A.M.P map pack which was made by a bunch of mappers are ppl from the community tested the maps as soon as they needed it.

Walking Target

2007-05-18 22:43:02

Hi and welcome! Good to have some HE guys joining us here.

Nino, I was thinking the same thing a while back. Something to think about for sure.

ninojman

2007-05-18 22:52:18

this would be a good place to do it

Walking Target

2007-05-19 00:32:44

An expansion of the "Map Development Initiative" perhaps...

http://www.hl2dm-university.com/dev_projects.htm

badinfluence

2007-05-29 06:28:44

aim arena b4 is a great map. I'm glad someone had the imagination to make two. Although something makes me think you forgot to play test it.

There are 3 errors with it. Something is messed up with this edge where they two come together. It blocks you and you can't get around it.

This xbow right here in the exact middle of the two doesn't respawn after it is picked up the first time.

Also you can camp in the letters you made..Try making a picture or something in photoshop and then putting it in the map.

Hope to see a second version!

Walking Target

2007-05-29 09:17:58

The brushwork in the original aim arena was such a mess that any attempt to re-work it will likely have issues. May be hard to fix that one.

st00pidity

2007-05-29 13:53:59

Walking Target wrote:The brushwork in the original aim arena was such a mess that any attempt to re-work it will likely have issues. May be hard to fix that one.
not like it'd take more then 30 minutes to rebuild.

GaTmAn

2007-05-29 14:31:18

Not any good at mapping myself, but I've played a lot of maps, I can form a solid idea of how a good/success map should be made... People like me could just go ahead and post how a map should be made or ideas, developpers could take the ideas to the next level... I think that could be another aspect of this whole idea... Instead of taking unfinished maps, just help people who aren't as skilled in that area, to built fresh and new maps... Both could playtest the map, give comments and positive critics... Atm I can't be arsed due to exams, but when those are over I will post some mapideas I had a while ago, but was unable to portrait them into a playable map...

Thorofin

2007-06-11 05:52:44

I'll be the first to admit that while I did play test it, It was probably one I spent the least amount of time from beta to release. I'll see if I can't revisit it and clean it up.

WT--Yes, The brushes are a mess....one reason I avoided spending too much time on it.

As for the the idea to map collectively...I like it. Since map source files (vmf) are text based, seems like it would be something easy to implement in a CVS repository..or something like that.

Walking Target

2007-06-11 07:28:30

Thorofin wrote:seems like it would be something easy to implement in a CVS repository..or something like that.
Good idea, I will start looking into that.

Ko-Tao

2007-06-11 14:01:42

st0wn3d wrote:
Walking Target wrote:The brushwork in the original aim arena was such a mess that any attempt to re-work it will likely have issues. May be hard to fix that one.
Im doing exactly that for season 2 of the CAL 1v1 league. Clean brushwork, upgraded textures, proper lights and fixed lifts, but itll otherwise be identical to b4 in pretty much every way.

badinfluence

2007-06-11 20:11:08

Ko-Tao wrote:
st0wn3d wrote:
Im doing exactly that for season 2 of the CAL 1v1 league. Clean brushwork, upgraded textures, proper lights and fixed lifts, but itll otherwise be identical to b4 in pretty much every way.
Bah, I like the textures of b4. I can't stand the textures of b6 and b7. It just seems like i can't aim on there. :[

P.S. Ko-Tao, hit me up on xfire when you wanna play again. [=

Walking Target

2007-06-11 20:47:24

badinfluence wrote: Bah, I like the textures of b4. I can't stand the textures of b6 and b7. It just seems like i can't aim on there.
More likely it is the server it's running on than the map itself, unless you have an old graphics card that stuggles with the more detailed textures that is.

Charles

2007-06-12 03:47:59

b4's textures are ugly. Aim_arena is too easy RPGable for a serious CAL 1v1.

badinfluence

2007-06-12 04:06:35

Walking Target wrote:
badinfluence wrote: Bah, I like the textures of b4. I can't stand the textures of b6 and b7. It just seems like i can't aim on there.
More likely it is the server it's running on than the map itself, unless you have an old graphics card that stuggles with the more detailed textures that is.
Yeah, I have an old PC. Looking to upgrade this summer. Gotz to get me a job!

Ko-Tao

2007-06-12 05:51:16

Ill be using high-visibility textures and lighting with minimal shadowing. The idea is to replicate b4 in play and general looks, while getting rid of stuff like fullbright, super-stretched textures and the various errors.

Thorofin

2007-06-12 22:34:18

The low overhead was exactly the reason I built the Big version off b4. That map, while it's not pretty..will run on older systems.