Double elimination playoffs time line.

Fearsome*

2009-01-11 05:59:29

In the past we have run double elimination playoffs in 3 weeks. However with open and main divisions now it is likely that more active teams will make playoffs and the desire to complete playoffs sooner will be less of an issue. Would you like to schedule a double elimination playoff to last just 3 weeks with 2 matches per week, or 5 or 6 weeks with 1 match per week except the finals. It is also an issue this season having kb leagues that players who wish to compete in both will have a hard time. You can imagine between all leagues their will be 10 scheduled matches per week in a 3 week schedule.

Paradox

2009-01-11 06:07:33

Just for a little bit more explanation and for the sake of the discussion.

To schedule 5 leagues 1v KB, 2v KB, Reg 1v, reg 2v and reg 4v with 2 matches per week is going to be crazy if people are participating in both.

We will have to schedule some of the playoffs for these leagues on the same days

Just as an example in past seasons with double elim and 2 matches per week:
Reg 1v would be Monday and Thursday
Reg 2v would be Tuesday and Friday
Reg 4v would be Wedsday and Saturday

So this leaves the question: What to do with the 2 KB leagues?

One idea we were kicking around was
kb 1v Monday and Thursday
KB 2v Tuesday and Friday

Or reverse them to

KB 1v Tuesday and Friday
KB 2v Monday and Thursday

The reason we are thinking of avoiding the days for 4v4 is because we all know how hard it can be to get 4 players together as it is so we thought it might be best to avoid hangups with those days.

Please discuss constructive ideas and suggestions

Thanks

Ko-Tao

2009-01-11 13:29:03

If i were running the league, id set it to 1/week, to give ample time for practice, disputes and lenient scheduling.

Personally, im fine either way, but not everyone has a flexible schedule, and 2 matches per week has been the cause of forfeits in the past. Id also rather win due to my own skill as opposed to an afk opponent.

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-01-11 18:52:54

one game per week. if an individual is participating in all 4 divisions he/she will be used to the schedule by then. if anything i would get rid of the double elim. just makes the playoffs last WAAAYYYY too long. and really, how many times has that team from the "1loss" bracket come back to win it all? i would rather have each match be a best of 5 instead of best of 3. get it all done in one night, you can rotate players if you want. winner moves on, loser is done. simple. IMO, i think most ppl think the double elim is a super pain in the ass anyway

L2k

2009-01-11 20:30:15

{EE}chEmicalBurn wrote:one game per week. if an individual is participating in all 4 divisions he/she will be used to the schedule by then. if anything i would get rid of the double elim. just makes the playoffs last WAAAYYYY too long. and really, how many times has that team from the "1loss" bracket come back to win it all? i would rather have each match be a best of 5 instead of best of 3. get it all done in one night, you can rotate players if you want. winner moves on, loser is done. simple. IMO, i think most ppl think the double elim is a super pain in the ass anyway
Dont forget seed 1 plays seed 8 first round which is kinda screwed for seed 8 if its single elim.

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-01-11 21:54:21

L2k wrote:
{EE}chEmicalBurn wrote:one game per week. if an individual is participating in all 4 divisions he/she will be used to the schedule by then. if anything i would get rid of the double elim. just makes the playoffs last WAAAYYYY too long. and really, how many times has that team from the "1loss" bracket come back to win it all? i would rather have each match be a best of 5 instead of best of 3. get it all done in one night, you can rotate players if you want. winner moves on, loser is done. simple. IMO, i think most ppl think the double elim is a super pain in the ass anyway
Dont forget seed 1 plays seed 8 first round which is kinda screwed for seed 8 if its single elim.
yup, thats the bitch of being seed 8!!!! i just think the double elim makes the whole playoffs last so fucking long ppl just start to lose interest

ninojman

2009-01-11 22:10:24

Change it from the "True Second" double elim

As in if you lose once you go for third. Twice and your out.
You must go undefeated to make finals. Seeds are important making season important.

the True Second double elim takes to long. 5 rounds, you can do a double elim that only takes 3 for finals and 4 to get to 3rd/4th and 5th/6th

But how about voting on how long the Break between seasons should be?
It's 1 or 2 weeks in serious leagues

Fearsome*

2009-01-11 23:05:10

ninojman wrote:Change it from the "True Second" double elim

As in if you lose once you go for third. Twice and your out.
You must go undefeated to make finals. Seeds are important making season important.

the True Second double elim takes to long. 5 rounds, you can do a double elim that only takes 3 for finals and 4 to get to 3rd/4th and 5th/6th

But how about voting on how long the Break between seasons should be?
It's 1 or 2 weeks in serious leagues
We did this one season the main problem we found was that once people had their first loss and no longer had a shot at the top spot they just did not play the rest of their matches. It was nice however that you could place all teams in 4 weeks since we took 16 teams to the finals.

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-01-11 23:31:13

who cares, you lose once and you're out. thats it. it's not like we're giving away prize money or anything.

CoNfuSed

2009-01-12 00:42:59

nah, double elim is better, a lot more fair for lower seeds that play upper seeds, like seed 8 vs seed 1, i mean seed 1 is surely going to win like 98% of the time.

Zman42

2009-01-12 00:45:33

CoNfuSed wrote:nah, double elim is better, a lot more fair for lower seeds that play upper seeds, like seed 8 vs seed 1, i mean seed 1 is surely going to win like 98% of the time.
what he said, howd you like to be the guy who gets a rough batch of matches in the season and barely scrapes into 8th place, to be obliterated by seed 1?

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-01-12 01:06:50

Zman42 wrote:
CoNfuSed wrote:nah, double elim is better, a lot more fair for lower seeds that play upper seeds, like seed 8 vs seed 1, i mean seed 1 is surely going to win like 98% of the time.
what he said, howd you like to be the guy who gets a rough batch of matches in the season and barely scrapes into 8th place, to be obliterated by seed 1?
what do you mean? i AM that guy!!!! :lol:

Sacrifist

2009-01-14 04:20:53

Zman42 wrote:
2 v 2 or 1 v 1 I totally agree.

With that said, it should be round robin for the regular season for 4 v 4. I hate the fact that some teams dont play others. Especially when a whole schedule isnt presented before the season starts. Who decides on who plays who and what week they play? Why not make the regular season as long as it needs to be. If there are less then 6 teams then each team should play each other twice. I also feel that if you are 8 seed and get killed by the 1 seed, you are more then likely gonna get killed by the other top 5 seeds since teams are fairly close in terms of skill. Double elim is a drag lol. Did last season's 4 v 4 playoffs even get finished?