Strange

2008-05-07 04:21:02

Is it necessary?

Poor_Billy

2008-05-07 04:22:40

your mouse will get filthy very quickly if you don't have one

Ghost Dog_TSGK

2008-05-07 05:23:58

I use my desktop and yes the dust gets to it, but it works fine although I don't doubt a matching pad would feel better.

But yes it works fine and most logitech laser mice from what I read are tested on wooden veneer surfaces.

L2k

2008-05-07 05:58:15

I use my G5 on my wooden veneer desktop surface and Id say it works fine, however I do wipe down the desktop surface about 2 times a week to keep it clean. The problem I see is that I have had this desk about 1 year or so and the veneer is starting to wear through in the area where the mouse moves exposing a lighter base material. I have tried a few mouse surfaces and I don't really care for the the way they elevate the mouse even though it's only about 3/8 of a inch. Also being somewhat of a low sens user I tend to move my mouse at times more than the average mouse surface size. Can anyone recommend a good LARGE mouse surface?

Ghost Dog_TSGK

2008-05-07 06:08:28

L2k wrote:I use my G5 on my wooden veneer desktop surface and Id say it works fine, however I do wipe down the desktop surface about 2 times a week to keep it clean. The problem I see is that I have had this desk about 1 year or so and the veneer is starting to wear through in the area where the mouse moves exposing a lighter base material. I have tried a few mouse surfaces and I don't really care for the the way they elevate the mouse even though it's only about 3/8 of a inch. Also being somewhat of a low sens user I tend to move my mouse at times more than the average mouse surface size. Can anyone recommend a good LARGE mouse surface?

I use my G5 on the wood veneer, and this desk is very new already I see the finish and material fading, I was looking at this one and if you want large well my friend, this is gargantuan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... XTRAC%2bXL

I have read countless reviews of how well it works with the g5 and others, so check it out, it is so large lots of people have cut it in half and have a spare.

0nti

2008-05-08 23:52:41

Mouses don't necessarily need a mouse pad, but having one will DEFINITELY give you more accuarate results and take take of your mouse better than any other surface.
My advice, spend some bucks on a mouse pad, at least a decent one.

Zman42

2008-05-09 19:24:38

I use the Razer Mantis control pad, and its HUGE. I would recommend it if you use a low sens for sure.

Briggs

2008-05-09 23:01:32

what mouse dpi and ingame sensitivity do you use, strange?

Strange

2008-05-09 23:45:28

Briggs wrote:what mouse dpi and ingame sensitivity do you use, strange?
mouse dpi : 800
ingame senstivity : 6.5

Epoch

2008-05-10 18:16:47

I also use the Razer Mantis Control Pad and I'm very happy with it. I use a medium sense but keep going lower and lower so its nice to have the extra space to work with, I'll never run out of pad. I tried my razer death adder on my wooden desktop, a flanel shirt, white printer paper, white printer paper with text printed on it, a hard plastic top mouse pad and none of them performed nearly as consistently or as well as the mantis pad. IMO there is something to be said for using a gaming mouse pad (or any other high quality pad of your liking) when using a high precision gaming mouse be it laser, optical or infrared...but there are tons of people who disagree, so my advice is to do some testing of your own. I would suggest a large tightly woven cloth surface that doesn't create a lot of friction.

Paradox

2008-05-10 19:23:34

I couldnt find a mousepad that was big enough. The ones I can find around here are are like 6 x 8 inches and I run off of them sometimes. So I am now using a 10x 14 white plastic cutting board for a mouse pad mainly because I noticed that the mouse was wearing the top of my keyboard shelf away. I put a rubber no skid pad under the cutting board to keep it from sliding and it seems to work great so far.

Blasphemy

2008-05-11 06:13:29

i just use a two dollar mouse pad i bought at albertons. :humble:

cyber_clash

2008-05-12 07:59:30

8) Looking for a new mouse pad. Any recommendations? Probably will buy from newegg.com so keep that in mind. ;)

ninjins

2008-05-12 22:45:41

i use a max payne mouse pad that came with the game from like 7 years ago. its worn to crap and slides all over the place. but before the pad i used just my wooden desk area and now i have absolutely no finish on my desk where the mouse goes as well as a bunch of holes in it for whatever reason. ive learned my lesson however not using a mouse pad because now my mx518 has no rear left skate and skate mold. ive completely grinded about 1/8 inch of plastic off that side of my mouse. its so uneven now and throws my aim off ALL the time.

yeah thats my excuse

THE END

2008-05-14 00:08:59

I just got my new mouse mat its a boogie bug aimb xl its HUGE(90cm * 45cm)
and I'm loving it

0nti

2008-05-15 17:01:34

8) Looking for a new mouse pad. Any recommendations? Probably will buy from newegg.com so keep that in mind. ;)
Razer mantis is pretty good. Steel has some good mousepads too, like the 5L
http://www.steelseries.com/us/products/surfaces
http://www.razerzone.com
Check 'em out.

I'm using a Steel QcK for the moment, but it's getting too little cuz the sens I use now is a lot lower than the one I used before, so I might buy a new one

keefy

2008-06-02 20:38:57

Mouse pads are engineered to have less friction than your desktop I did not use one when i 1st got an optical mouse but after bnuying a func 1030 3 years ago I will always use one now, it does make a difference.