need crossbow tips

baraQuda

2009-02-19 04:07:50

I just need some good tips on advanced crossbow techniques. i got all the basics down its just a frustrating gun to master in this game.
i have trouble timing long range shots and sometimes even up close shots. tips please :D

L2k

2009-02-19 05:58:41

the crossbow is prediction weapon in every sense of the word, which means you do not aim right on target unless the target is not moving in any direction.
The only way to get good with it is to use it and practice it a lot. The only tip I can really give you is to watch your opponent, notice his movements, how far he strafe jumps (if he is) and try to get an idea of his rhythm so that you can lead your shot in a manner he will run into it more or less when the two cross paths.

Zman42

2009-02-19 07:46:00

something I would add is that your first instinct with the bow is usually right, if you just twitch and shoot at the first sign of the oponent thats usually the right thing to do.

Walking Target

2009-02-19 09:50:02

It's a great weapon to lead with, but if you land a bolt and the opponent doesn't die, chop to a better finishing weapon.

At really long range I like to aim directly at the opponent. Trying to predict at that distance is fairly futile, and there is a good chance they will double back into your bolt by the time it arrives anyway.

To practice the bow, stick a prop around a corner somewhere, then leap out from cover and hit the prop as fast as you can. I'm talking snap shot, no lining up/aiming. Tossing shit in the air and shooting it as it falls is also helpful.

baraQuda

2009-02-19 23:49:17

thanks i'll try all this out.

o-dog

2009-02-20 01:17:23

what everyone else said, the xbow is definitely a lead/prediction weapon. throwing props in the air and shooting them is good practice.

also, getting bank shots down is essential to truly mastering the crossbow. practice hitting walls at a 45 degree angle so the bolts bounce off the walls. also when you see a curved wall anywhere in a map (biohazard and lostarena have alot of these), practice shooting at the exact place where the wall curves so that the bolt banks around the curve. I had screenshots of exactly where to hit the wall on my old computer but not on my new one unfortunately. alot of the frag videos on here (Unwonted, Dark Files, LSD Cal Frags, Poconut's short video) have examples of this shot so watch those vids.

baraQuda

2009-02-20 03:07:40

I kno about the frag movie shots, :p
To be truthful the new frag movies coming out showing all these crazy techniques are what turned me to playing this game more often.

PandorasAssassin

2009-02-21 05:28:09

Yes its defiantly trail and error. Experience that is only gained while failing and succeeding. Keep at it tho, as you will thank yourself in the long run. :)

badinfluence

2009-02-21 08:51:32

o-dog wrote:what everyone else said, the xbow is definitely a lead/prediction weapon. throwing props in the air and shooting them is good practice.

also, getting bank shots down is essential to truly mastering the crossbow. practice hitting walls at a 45 degree angle so the bolts bounce off the walls. also when you see a curved wall anywhere in a map (biohazard and lostarena have alot of these), practice shooting at the exact place where the wall curves so that the bolt banks around the curve. I had screenshots of exactly where to hit the wall on my old computer but not on my new one unfortunately. alot of the frag videos on here (Unwonted, Dark Files, LSD Cal Frags, Poconut's short video) have examples of this shot so watch those vids.
I honestly don't think those are necessary, but you can do what you want. (Obviously)

PandorasAssassin

2009-02-23 04:47:06

badinfluence wrote:
o-dog wrote:what everyone else said, the xbow is definitely a lead/prediction weapon. throwing props in the air and shooting them is good practice.

I honestly don't think those are necessary, but you can do what you want. (Obviously)

Dude your sig scares me..Were can I find it? Haha.

badinfluence

2009-02-23 17:44:20

I just got another request via PM. I've tried to post a bunch of images here, but I was told they were racist. Here's a massive image dump that I've collected over the years. http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/ee33 ... ?start=all

Hopefully posting a link to racist images isn't bad. Also, beware, some of they are not safe for work.

WT: I meant no sarcasm by this post. I was just trying not to break the rules.

ninjins

2009-02-28 21:58:28

xbow bank shots arent absoulutely necessary. obviously it depends on the situation but you're more than likely to get an actual hit if you just aim for you opponent instead of trying to be cool. also, anyone know who that girl is in BI's sig? or what tv show whatever thats from. it looks awfully familiar. lol.

Blasphemy

2009-02-28 23:51:31

TiGGy wrote:xbow bank shots arent absoulutely necessary. obviously it depends on the situation but you're more than likely to get an actual hit if you just aim for you opponent instead of trying to be cool. also, anyone know who that girl is in BI's sig? or what tv show whatever thats from. it looks awfully familiar. lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azqXygCzO8

ninjins

2009-03-01 03:51:21

Blasphemy wrote:
TiGGy wrote:xbow bank shots arent absoulutely necessary. obviously it depends on the situation but you're more than likely to get an actual hit if you just aim for you opponent instead of trying to be cool. also, anyone know who that girl is in BI's sig? or what tv show whatever thats from. it looks awfully familiar. lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azqXygCzO8
hahah this is what i saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQp5l4-sfFA

Blasphemy

2009-03-01 04:23:17

Zman42

2009-03-01 19:36:12

bump for great lulz, the original author of this thread is vac banned. :lol:

Walking Target

2009-03-01 19:51:45

That's why he needs xbow tips, his aimbot wasn't helping. ;)

Blasphemy

2009-03-01 22:07:53

Zman42 wrote:bump for great lulz, the original author of this thread is vac banned. :lol:
sauce?

Zman42

2009-03-01 22:19:57

http://hl2mp.tsgk.com/index.php?mode=pl ... yer=687172
sauce delivered.
inb4 LOL THATS NOT ME

0nti

2009-04-02 17:22:18

Tiggy, it is true that bank shots aren't completely necessary, and many people consider them just to "look cool", but if you think about it for a second, in many cases you have a wider "error frame" (if that's how you call it) due to the angle.