Energy drinks improve gameplay?

PandorasAssassin

2009-02-21 05:30:51

At first I was skeptical, but then I drank a monster, and like I was 110-7. Then the next day without the energy drink I suck ass lol. So does the extra caffeine help improve reflexes or am I crazy and should stop playing DM? Lol, does anyone else have the same experience?

[EYE] Valar

2009-02-21 06:43:46

heh, teh mind tricks..

tell ya lil story; when i was just a little valar i heard about how i can OWN by changing my rates. so i did and i totally OWNED the first game. then i checked my settings and saw i've wrriten them the wrong way and that i didn't even change anything.
then i sucked again. :oops:

PandorasAssassin

2009-02-21 07:21:57

[EYE] Valar wrote:heh, teh mind tricks..

tell ya lil story; when i was just a little valar i heard about how i can OWN by changing my rates. so i did and i totally OWNED the first game. then i checked my settings and saw i've wrriten them the wrong way and that i didn't even change anything.
then i sucked again. :oops:
Heh, heh! Well see the first time I did it, I was casually drinking, and I thought I noticed a difference then I payed attention while drinking one. So i'm not sure if its all mind games. But I loved your story. :mrgreen:

Pernicious

2009-02-21 07:26:14

YEA MONSTER!!
Just had one for the first time in ages, used to drink em all the time, for me they didnt help gameplay but they kept me up a bit longer.
Maybe its just ur enthusiasm that is helped.

And yea, for energy drinks, monster is THE BEST!

MONSTER YEA! WOOOOOOOO!!

L2k

2009-02-21 08:07:42

Energy drinks can boost you up a bit to where you are more aware and responsive to in game situations. I used to drink them quite often, and I would notice a slight improvement in my game play. The thing is though they are not really good for you, and I wouldn't advise drinking them on a daily basis. Most of them are full of sugar and too much caffeine ends up disrupting your sleep which can lead to other problems.

PandorasAssassin

2009-02-21 08:37:27

Yeah WOO MONSTER!

I wouldn't drink them on a daily basis, but sometimes I just can't seem to react to anything. Tonight was a perfect example. Sometimes its natural and other times I get my ass kicked at Gdawggs.. :?

badinfluence

2009-02-21 08:45:44

I drink them all the time. I don't notice a difference at all.

The Argumentalizer

2009-02-21 09:20:47

Caffeine is a performance booster. Most sports limit the amout of caffeine pre play to about 2 cups.
It definitely can help motor reflexes and alertness.
It also takes 6 hours to metabolize caffeine, so expect no sleep for at least 6 hours after your last caffeine drinks.

o-dog

2009-02-21 10:33:56

yeah caffeine can definitely improve your reflexes and alertness which will definitely help your game.

just be careful how much of it you drink, because having caffeine jitters can negatively affect your game as well.

Jelly Fox

2009-02-21 15:28:19

I drink tea all the time... dread to think how bad I'd be without it :cry:

Blasphemy

2009-02-21 16:57:36

screw monster, smoke meth.

lego

2009-02-21 20:56:42

:agree:

PandorasAssassin

2009-02-21 21:01:53

Blasphemy wrote:screw monster, smoke meth.
I'm da beft haf wife pwayer here!

*Last tooth falls out*

:o

Blasphemy

2009-02-21 21:19:13

PandorasAssassin wrote:
Blasphemy wrote:screw monster, smoke meth.
I'm da beft haf wife pwayer here!

*Last tooth falls out*

:o
it was worth it.

haymaker

2009-02-23 06:05:36

o-dog wrote:yeah caffeine can definitely improve your reflexes and alertness which will definitely help your game.
that contradicts something i saw down at the science museum recently, there was this time-your-reactions thing there, alongside was a blurb that mentioned the fact that caffeine does NOT enhance your reaction time, only makes the reaction more "forceful".

Pernicious

2009-02-23 10:24:01

I mentioned enthusiasm :P

Caffeine can make ur hands shaky anyways.

herbalizer

2009-02-27 00:46:49

I like the feeling of a natural energy drink with green tea rather than a red bull or rockstar with the chemicals. You don't get a crash and its a gradual energy boost. Sometimes I can feel it and it assists with my reaction time if I am tired that day. A real good balance, when you get too wired off anything is sweet mary jane - she can calm even the most savage beast. :twisted:

badinfluence

2009-02-27 02:14:59

It obviously helps the scout!

{EE}chEmicalbuRn

2009-02-27 02:23:28

five hour energy. FTW

herbalizer

2009-03-10 11:37:07

Six Hour Power pwnz 5 hour energy :wink:

voz

2009-03-24 20:13:30

didnt cal offer energy drinks i think called game shotz as prizes to winners they had like tons of caffeine to improve reflexes and believe me energy drinks do increase gameplay performance alot

KILLER_K™

2009-05-28 02:59:36

voz wrote:didnt cal offer energy drinks i think called game shotz as prizes to winners they had like tons of caffeine to improve reflexes and believe me energy drinks do increase gameplay performance alot

Seems they don't do nothing for spelling though..........

But a lot of people spell it that way, must be the caffeine.

Good Day

Pernicious

2009-05-28 04:20:23

This is the internet, we dont spell anything correctly.....because its the internet.

Ko-Tao

2009-05-28 12:03:17

Caffeine is the last thing i want in a competitive gaming situation. A minimal to negligible reflex improvement (generally only noticable if the user is low on quality sleep and/or calories to begin with) and slightly better focus doesnt anywhere near make up for the general twitchiness, random jitter-induced harsh overreactions and the inevitable crash once the drink or whatever wears out.

Also, increased focus can alternately be gained via a meditative state (aka flow, the zone, [insert preferred synonym here]) with potentially far stronger and more reliable / longer lasting results (though, i suppose if a competitor were the type to cheat online, or were just a lazy player in general, theyd probably be no more likely to have the discipline to aquire the above techniques than they did to properly learn the game in the first place, and come lan time might as well just cram a load of kola nuts up their butt and hope for the best).

Overall im of the opinion that energy drinks and the like are much like "gaming keyboards", mice with on the fly sensetivity adjustments and the like- marketed as pro, but essentially gimmicks and only actually of interest to / used by the lesser players who will likely never be pro, or reach that level; the pros themselves may endorse this stuff (mainly since they get paid to do so) but dont actually appear to use it when theres a title or sizable purse on the line.

And with that said: Can anyone give example of a serious major esports tournament (meaning, skill intensive game, lan play, reasonable amount of cash / swag / respect to be had) where the top player(s) were seen consuming loads of trash calories / caffeine immediately prior to taking the championship? Ive watched quite a few quakecon / evo / etc finals and the like, and as of yet have never seen this occur once.

Ko-Tao

2009-05-28 12:04:43

KILLER_K™ wrote:
voz wrote:didnt cal offer energy drinks i think called game shotz as prizes to winners they had like tons of caffeine to improve reflexes and believe me energy drinks do increase gameplay performance alot

Seems they don't do anything for spelling though..........

But a lot of people spell it that way, must be the caffeine.

Good Day
Fixed that for you, see italicized for details.

Btw, grammar police academy is that way ----->

Glhf! ;)

provost

2009-07-24 07:35:07

Swallow Bawls, win at hl2dm.

n3cr0tos1n

2009-08-19 07:42:40

yeah monsters works, i think that's how i finally beat Bad influence. he might have been high as shit too. xD

wikipedia.org, check out caffeine info and see what is true, and what is not true. internet can be your friend a bunch of times. ;)

badinfluence

2009-08-19 09:44:15

Lol yeah, I was...

The Argumentalizer

2009-08-19 11:52:51

In an interview, Fatality said just water, as he wanted to relaxed and zone while playing rather than have the jitters.
Worked for him.

voz

2009-08-19 16:49:51

yep have a big ass bottle of water so u have to piss all the time and that way u can twitch ur way out on every headshot , boom headshot *twitch*

Ko-Tao

2009-11-13 10:42:11

voz wrote:didnt cal offer energy drinks i think called game shotz as prizes to winners they had like tons of caffeine to improve reflexes and believe me HAXXX do increase gameplay performance alot
I believe you! 8)

Deathwish

2009-12-27 09:10:00

voz wrote:yep have a big ass bottle of water so u have to piss all the time and that way u can twitch ur way out on every headshot , boom headshot *twitch*
^What he said.