UT99 to source (???)

Skaruts

2008-12-18 06:26:21

Does anyone know a way to port UT99 maps to source?

There's this dm_deck16][ map made by GigaByte in fpsbanana that is extremely well done. There's some stuff that doesn't resemble the original, like the water at the bottom and the elevators, but in the overall, the architecture and the textures are amazingly well. He claims to have ported it by hand due to no existence of viable converters at the time (2006).

Now, I don't know crap about the UnrealEd. I know you can export textures to .pcx, but the architecture is hard for me to know how to port it.

If there would be a flawless converter for at least the architecture I'd be more that pleased to know.

Thx in advance.

keefy

2008-12-18 14:51:40

Source engine is capable of so much more why make it look the same as a 10 year old game?

[EYE] Valar

2008-12-18 18:44:14

hey Skaruts, I've researched about this a bit here and there.
there is no one-click-flawless converter. the operation is quite the pain in the ass but doable.
UnreaEd and Source work exactly the opposite; Source is made out of World geometry brushes (solid matter) in a void while UnrealEd is a solid matter you "carve" chunks off to make your level. not to mention entities, materials and models are altogether different.
The way to go about this is to find (and i'm still looking for) a professional Maya or any 3D editor that will take a UT level's geometry static mesh and convert it using the 3D editor. then, it can be safely converted to Source.
as i said, a pain, but doable. just needs a 3D guy who's willing and able.

@ Keefy - cuz UT rocks. yes gfx are old but wow i'm a big fan. twas my first game so I'm mushy. :rofl:

Skaruts

2008-12-18 19:15:04

yes, I've talked to the guy that made dm_deck16][ and he told me that. He also told me that a unit in UnrealEd is somewhat bigger than 1 inch. Since he didn't go to core on math to convert measurements the map in hammer ended up a little too big. I had noticed, but couldn't be too sure, as the diference is not so noticeable at first.

As for that 3D mesh convertion, would be a tremendously good idea if I wanted to port Liandry, which is round all around and would be a pain to make by hand in hammer.
But... I'm not the one capable of doing that.

Monarch

2010-08-30 15:27:05

Skaruts wrote:I'm not the one capable of doing that.
guess what , irmão

ps. lmao look at the dates