dm_villa_b3

klyemar

2009-06-30 16:00:52

Hello all here at the Deathmatch University! It's been awhile since my last map update, six months or so, but I have not come empty handed! I was able to use almost every bit of feedback, advice, and criticism from the second version to make this third version, and I feel like it is ten times better for it. I'm hoping with just a little more work, this map will be more for fun than for feedback.

dm_villa_b3.rar - 2.8 Mb

This is currently the third beta version of the map, and I've uploaded it for playtesting and constructive criticism and feedback.
This is a map best suited for anywhere from 2 to 10 players, spanning three levels: basement cavern, villa main floor, and the rooftop.

To install, simply move the "half-life 2 deathmatch" folder into your ...Steam\steamapps\(username) directory.

I'd like to give a big thanks to the community here at hl2dmu, and at interlopers.net, and fpsbanana for putting so much time and effort into helping me refine this map. There was a lot to sift through and I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys. :P

I wanted to credit Bosh and Valar for coming up with the IOs for the health and armor charger lights, they look pretty cool.

dm_villa_b3.rar - 2.8 Mb

Version .3 Changelog:

*Tripled the size of the existing backyard area, added new building to the main complex for looks.
*Added new cave room, and a new entrance to the caves from the main courtyard to improve flow.
*It is now possible to enter the courtyard hallway through a hole in the wall, to allow players greater freedom of movement.
*Increased the size of the villa living room to ease player movement.
*Fixed issues with small props getting in the way of players trying to pick up larger physics objects.
*Made small touches to layout to enhance speed of movement and ease of movement.
*Raised the skybox, now the grenades shouldn't magically bounce off of the sky.
*Added lighting to darker areas of the map.
*Changed weapon layout throughout the map; most importantly, I removed all but *one* of the SLAMs!
*Made various cosmetic changes to improve visual quality.
*Added clipping in many areas, since there were quite a few problems with players getting snagged on the walls.
*Optimized map for fps' sake: compiled in LDR with higher lightmaps than the last version. Visleafs have been optimized as well for performance.
*Overall map size is now ONE SIXTH what it used to be. I don't know how I pulled that one off honestly...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shoobie

2009-06-30 20:51:44

Some parts need clipping. i found those during a quick runabout.

the corner should be closed together with the wooden thingy.

You might want to clip some of the interior.

The part of the L with the saw blades should be widened.

The doorway should be clipped against the wall.

The hall could be wider and the entrances to the hall should be higher so you can move in and out using strafe jumps with more ease.

The last opinion form me, no slams! it's a quite narrow map at places. They destroy the flow of the map, when you have to look for slams all the time.

Walking Target

2009-06-30 22:38:07

Images aren't showing for me, anyone else? You may want to edit them into links or use the attachment function here.

Paradox

2009-07-01 01:03:48

Yeah I cant see them either. Glad to know you are still working on this map though.

klyemar

2009-07-01 07:31:21

Yea life kind of got a hold of me for a while there. Now that it's summer my girlfriend is back home with her parents, which basically means that I'm going to be doing level design pretty much every day now. :mrgreen:

[FF]FNDR.Jake_Brake

2009-07-01 08:38:27

Man, I can't wait to try this version out! Your last release was just full of promise!

haymaker

2009-07-01 19:55:05

Your level of finish here is exceptional, great work there! Lighting is really effective. The new courtyard is a vast improvement.

I still found obstacles to gameplay anathema to 'tight' maps, mostly sticky decorative objects ( make 'em nonsolid ). Not much you can do about the close quarters but be aware that melee becomes pretty attractive in those situations.

Also was curious why the ledge by the high curved wall was clipped off, you've even got a little walkway leading to it.

This would make a top choice for conversion to SP like in that current contest idea. The caves especially remind me of that.